Colon Cancer Sucks Ass

Tuesday, October 04, 2005

Startled By the Cold

I've had over a week to digest the treatment plan that my oncologist laid out for me. Out of all the information I was given, there is one thing that stands out. One of the drugs I will be receiving can cause extreme sensitive to cold. On the surface, it doesn't seem to be that odd or disturbing; however, it means that I cannot open the refrigerator like a normal person. Instead, I will have to stand behind the door to block the cold. Standing in front of the fridge as it is opened could startle me. Those were the nurse's exact words. I also will likely be unable to drink cold beverages or eat ice cream or popsicles. They will all cause my mouth to go numb.

Regarding the rest of the treatment plan, I will begin once my surgical wound has healed. The treatments will be every two weeks. The duration is unknown, but likely to be between four and six months. I will spend half a day in the office receiving drugs through a portacatheter which will be inserted in an outpatient surgical procedure. Then they will hook up a pump which will give a continuous drip for the next 46 hours. I will have to go back to the office after the 46 hours to get it turned off. I will be receiving the FOLFOX regime of chemotherapy drugs with Avastin which is a monoclonal antibody. You can read more about these drugs on any site about colon cancer. It is the typical first line treatment for metastatic colorectal cancer.

So now I'm just waiting...

1 Comments:

  • At 7:16 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    hello happened to stumble across your page reviewing FolFox which i will be starting a week or so after thanksgiving and your right coloncancer does suck ass lol at least you got a good laugh out of me my name is Diane iam a 58 year old mother,grandmothe,poet and musician,and recently had a colostomy to remove a huge tumor from my rectal area iam stage 111 right now all i can say to you is keep the faith dont give up and
    hang on in there things have got to get better soon!!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home