Colon Cancer Sucks Ass

Thursday, February 07, 2008

She's Back

So it's been an appallingly long time since I have updated. Suffice to say, graduate school is more work than I imagined. It's also challenging and rewarding and I am really enjoying it.

I have continued to go through treatment while attending school. I have been getting Folfiri (Irinotecan, 5FU, Leucovorin) with Avastin since last June. I will have my 12th treatment tomorrow morning and I am hoping that I will have a scan scheduled in the next couple of weeks. If the scan shows shrinkage or stability, I am going to stop treatment and switch to a maintenance regimen of Avastin. I'm really depending on those results. I'm just not sure how much longer I can handle school and chemo. I may have to take a leave of absense which I really don't want to do.

Let's talk about fun new side effects. I have some fluid in my abdomen. Some days I'm so bloated that it hurts. I take diuretics when I can, but I have to be near a bathroom for most of the day. I had a short break from chemo over the holidays and by the time I restarted treatments, the bloating had gone away. Now four weeks later I look pregnant and have to wear sweatpants everyday.

Well, it's 5:30am and I should try to get a little more sleep before I head over to campus. I'd like to say that I'll post more regularly, but all I can say is that I am going to make an effort. And to those of you who sent emails and haven't received responses yet, they are coming... soon.

8 Comments:

  • At 1:31 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    FYI... Seeing a new post on your blog gave me smile...

    Hold Fast

    Don MacLeod

     
  • At 7:13 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Happy to hear you are doing Ok and I wish you good luck and prayers with your scan. I read your site and feel like I know you.

     
  • At 8:29 AM, Blogger One Mother with Cancer said…

    Glad to see that you are doing ok. I will keep you in my thoughts for your upcoming scan.

     
  • At 3:49 PM, Blogger Kristen said…

    Fingers and toes are already crossed for the scan!

    Kristen
    xoxo

     
  • At 11:21 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Thank God. I wrote you a long email, I was thinking about you. I check here every day and haven't seen an update. I hope that you know we all think and worry about you.

    I am so glad to see that you are ok. It's ok about the bloating, you just concentrate on getting better.

    Love and prayers for your continued healing.

    Mirjana

     
  • At 11:51 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Yay She is back!! Praying for you in california!

     
  • At 5:28 PM, Blogger Kris, Skint in Europe said…

    Hi,

    I just stumbled across your blog, and wanted to firstly wish you a great trip.
    Secondly, I wanted to let you know about a challenge I´m currently in the middle of in order to raise as much money as possible for the charity, Cancer Research.
    My challenge is to get to every capital city in the European Union without a single penny in my pocket.
    I´m 110 days into the challenge, and have knocked out 15 capitals already.
    My adventures are documented on my blog, www.euro-challenge.blogspot.com and I´d appreciate if you´d all have a look at my blog and if you like it, recommend it also to friends. Obiously the more attention I get, the better, because I want to reach as many potential sponsors as possible.

    Take care, and I´ll be following your blog from now on.

    Kris

     
  • At 3:13 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    God bless you I'll pray for you.good luck for evetyhing.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home