Colon Cancer Sucks Ass

Wednesday, August 19, 2009

The End of One Journey and the Beginning of the Next

Christine passed away on July 18, 2009. She had moved home to Nebraska on July 1. She went to the emergency room at the University of Nebraska Medical Center on the evening on July 2 and was in surgery at 4 AM on July 3. The doctors did exploratory surgery. They were looking for a hole in her colon or stomach because of the bloating in her abdomen but failed to find one. She did well for the next couple of days but then the bloating started again. They did exploratory surgery again on the evening of July 10 and discovered that she had a massive amount of cancer in colon and on her liver. The cancer was very aggressive and we were told that there was nothing they could do for her. The doctor said she didn't have much time. We started Hospice in the hospital on July 13 and went to the Hospice House in Omaha on July 17. She passed away quietly the next morning at 7:56 AM.

I am planning to continue to write on this site for a while but I need some time to collect my thoughts.

Thank you to everyone who has supported and prayed for Christine over these last four years.

Jan,
Christine's Mom

8 Comments:

  • At 7:18 PM, Blogger amy said…

    I'm so sorry to hear about Christine. I found her blog during my own journey with colon cancer (I was diagnosed in June 2005 at the age of 27). She was brave, funny and still managed to advocate for colon cancer awareness and prevention. My best to you and your family always.

     
  • At 5:45 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    My prayers are with you and your family. GOd Bless You All

     
  • At 9:47 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Thank you for sharing this. I just recently started following her blog when my sister was diagnosed with stage 3 colon cancer. I have not seen any postings in a while. I am so sorry for your loss.

     
  • At 8:13 AM, Blogger Jules said…

    I have been checking the blog every day since Christine's last post and am so sorry to hear of her passing. My prayers are with you and your family.

     
  • At 1:10 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Thank you for your post. It must have been so hard to write it.... Christine is free of the illness now, no pain. But she is not with you, and I am sure it breaks your heart.
    Just try to remeber, some people do never have kids. You had yours for 32 years. Keep the good memories in your heart. And I will pray for you, for strenght than you need now. Dont fight the feelings you have now. Just float for a while, let it be.

     
  • At 10:43 AM, Blogger Jane said…

    I am deeply saddened by this news. I have checked periodically for a long time hoping for some new posts from Christine, and seeing these words today shocked me beyond belief.

    My thoughts are with all of you. Christine was a fine young woman and a very special person. She will be deeply missed.

    Jane Blewer

     
  • At 3:05 AM, Anonymous Roxanne said…

    God bless you! May Christine's death give lesson on our lives, that we learned from her life.

     
  • At 1:01 PM, Blogger VPMM2J said…

    I was in training to climb Mt. Whitney in July, so I wasn't keeping up with any of the blogs that I subscribed to until now. What a shock it was to see that Christine had passed away.

    I used to read her blog and there were times that she was quite funny in her struggles with her colon cancer. She always tried to have the most upbeat attitude @ times, and other times I could read between the lines, of her pain and struggle.

    Please know that my prayers are with you and your family, and am so sorry for the loss of your daughter. I am glad that you are keeping her blog going. By reading the most recent comments, on her blog, I can tell she has touched so many of us.

    God bless.

    Teri Ann

     

Post a Comment

<< Home