Colon Cancer Sucks Ass

Saturday, October 28, 2006

What Goes Up Must Come Down

I am indefinitely on hold for my next chemotherapy treatment. As I posted here, my platelet count has been running low, not dangerously low, but too low for treatment. The normal range for platelets is between 150,000 and 400,000. On the 16th, my count was 75,0000. By the 24th, it had climbed to 93,000. Unfortunately, by Thursday, it had dropped to 83,000. In order to received treatment, my platelet count has to be at least 100,000.

My oncologist has assured me that the treatment delay isn't a big deal. Since we're not treating any visible disease, an extended dealy will not have the same adverse effects as were possible when there were visible active tumors.

On Monday, I will go back in for more extensive blood tests to see if we can pinpoint the cause of my lower platelet levels or at least eliminate any potential problems. Most likely, it is just due to the amount of chemotherapy I have had this year combined with major surgery. According to my research, it is a known potential side effect of the drugs I have received.

I'm not going to worry about it. There's nothing that I can do to elevate my platelets and I don't believe that anything is seriously wrong (at least nothing new). My white cells and hemoglobin are just under normal levels. I'll just wait and see what the numbers are on Monday.

Daily Link:
I can't wait until I have the chance to see this!

1 Comments:

  • At 7:30 PM, Blogger Kristen said…

    How are they going to improve on Patrick Swayze singing, "She's Like The Wind"?!?

     

Post a Comment

<< Home