Colon Cancer Sucks Ass

Thursday, June 29, 2006

See, I Said I Would Be Back...

I returned from my Midwestern adventures on Monday afternoon and have been in recovery mode ever since. I had a really great time. Both weddings were fabulous and I got to spend time with lots of old friends and family. I said I would come back with lots of stories and I did, but I'm still too tired to organize my thoughts!

I do have a couple of updates on the health front. My surgery has been rescheduled for July 11th (postponed one day). I need to have a stress echo done and they scheduled it for today, but I already had an appointment today that I could not put off. The stress echo was moved to July 5th, but there has to be 5 full days between the test and the surgery. For those of you unfamiliar with a stress echo, they attach a bunch of those little white disks (electrodes?) to your body and make you walk on a treadmill while they observe how your heart handles the pressure. Sounds like a lot of fun, doesn't it? After the test, I'll see a cardiologist to go over the results and decide what, if any, regimin of lovenox injections I'll be on since I'll have to stop taking my other blood thinner.

I may have an endoscopy next week as well, but this is still up in the air. The purpose would be to determine if the mass in my colon is cancerous or if it's scar tissue. If it is scar tissue, then nothing needs to be done (no colon resection!!). Dr W is supposed to call Dr C to discuss this, but I think Dr C is on vacation this week. We'll see what happens.

I also received the results of my hormone tests today. The levels seem to be pretty normal which means I'm probably not menopausal. My internist wants me to see an endocrinologist to go over the tests in more detail so he gave me a referral today. I'd be surprised if I can get in before my surgery, but I'll call tomorrow to make the appointment.

Oh, one last thing... and it's good news. I met with Dr W on Tuesday and we discussed how much chemotherapy I will get after surgery if everything goes according to plan (e.g. my next CT scan shows no evidence of disease). He think that I only need to do two more months of chemo! That means that I could be done (at least for now) in October!!! So let's all hope that everything goes according to plan.

1 Comments:

  • At 10:03 PM, Blogger Kristen said…

    I'm counting down the days till October when you'll be done!!!! Good luck tomorrow with the stress test...just pretend you're in a movie and it's required for your role. :)

     

Post a Comment

<< Home