Colon Cancer Sucks Ass

Wednesday, June 07, 2006

The Best Possible Scenario

I have had many medical appointments over the last year. Some of these were just standard appointments updating prescriptions and going over current chemo side effects. Others were more serious and caused me a significant amount of anxiety. As much as I would try not to, I couldn't help but hope for the best possible scenario. I would try to count of the worst and hope for the best, but I always knew that I was unprepared for whatever news that I got. At some appointments, I received good news and at others, bad news, but I never received the best possible news... until today!!!

I met with the liver surgeon Dr B this afternoon and he didn't even hesitate in agreeing to do a liver resection. Good news! He wants to do it as soon, after I've been off chemo for a month. Even better news! I have to stop chemo now... no chemo treatment next week. Great news! This was actually better than I could have hoped for. I had never even considered that I might stop chemo right away. Who knew that it was possible to be this excited about having more than half of one's liver taken out?!?!?!?

I'm supposed to call tomorrow to schedule the surgery. (We have to wait at least a month because one of my treatment drugs-Avastin slows wound healing. It has to be out of my system.) I also need to make an appointment with Dr C, my original surgeon, about the spot in my colon. AND I have to call and cancel my next two chemotherapy sessions!!

4 Comments:

  • At 11:42 PM, Blogger Kristen said…

    (Cue Halleluia Chorus from Handel's "Messiah...")
    This is, truly, the BEST DAY EVER!!!!!!!! I'm so excited and happy for you! Hope you have a great time in San Diego, and a fabulous chemo-free week to follow!

     
  • At 7:24 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Christy,

    This is excellent news!!! I am so happy for you. I know this was what you were hoping for.

    See you in a couple of weeks

     
  • At 7:38 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hey Christine...you don't really know me, but I'm cheering you on. Have a great week without the drugs, and good luck with the surgery. Everything will go great!

     
  • At 8:29 PM, Blogger Christy said…

    I am glad to hear you got good news from the liver surgeon, and good for you for staying on top of your health practioners like you do, some people would just go to a regular surgeon, and not someone that specializes in the ordeal. Good for you, good about the chemo too, just one cycle has kicked the living shit out of me. I don't know if I am going to go back for the 11 other ones they want me to have either. Cancer needs to fuck off!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home