Colon Cancer Sucks Ass

Friday, April 02, 2010

Jazz Hands vs. Spirit Fingers

Whether it was in imitation of "Fosse," while singing tunes from "Cabaret," or just lying around gleefully watching "Bring It On" -- let's just say that Christy was not shy about whipping out her jazz hands.



She actually promised me and her family that she would appear to us as a ghost by scaring us with jazz hands when we opened our closets. I keep daring her to go all Liza Minnelli on me, but as of yet, there have been no spirit fingers looming in the depths of my closet.



I suppose I should introduce myself before I go on. My name is Mandy, and Christy was one of my dearest friends. Last March 2009, I accompanied Christy to D.C. for the Colorectal Cancer Coalition's Call-on-Congress. Christy was actually a Grassroots Advocate for California and a mentor last year. I was so proud of her -- where she found the energy and drive in the midst of her illness I will never begin to understand. I also realized at the end of our week there that she had given me an amazing gift: an active way to help her fight colon cancer.




So, instead of becoming all-consumed in my worries for her and about the future, I was able to join her in a march up to Capitol Hill to ask our congressmen for their support in stamping out the high incidence of deaths associated with this type of cancer in its later stages. Specifically, we asked them to co-sponsor HR 1189: The Colorectal Cancer Prevention, Early Detection, and Treatment Act. We also requested their support in adding colorectal cancer to list of diseases currently studied by the Department of Defense's Cancer Research Program. Sounds strange? Well, the D.O.D.'s program has played a big part in the advanced research associated with breast cancer; and now breast cancer's rates of detection and survival are so much higher. Our hope is that we can say the same for colorectal cancer in the near future.




Here are the current facts: Colorectal cancers are the 3rd most commonly diagnosed cancers among both men and women; and it is the second leading cause of cancer deaths among both genders as well. The hopeful part is that, if caught in its early stages via colonoscopy, there is a 90% survival rate!



So, it becomes a matter of educating the public about the signs and symptoms of colon cancer, as well as getting them to actually go for their colonoscopies at the age of 50+, or when they are experiencing symptoms associated with this cancer. We then need to ensure that there is no obstacle to their actually getting the colonoscopy (i.e. insurance loopholes, lack of insurance, lack of money, etc). These are the kinds of things we are trying to get implemented into the fabric of our healthcare system as advocates of C3. If Christy had only been given a colonoscopy, in spite of not having insurance or the money to pay for it at the time, maybe her cancer would have been caught at a more treatable early stage. Instead, it was not discovered until at least 5 months later when the tumor had perforated her bowel, and had already spread to her liver.




This year I was able to attend C3's 4th annual Call-On-Congress in the hope of carrying on Christy's advocacy work for her. I was surrounded by all of the other amazing C3 advocates - survivors, their loved ones, and other caregivers. We once again made our way up to The Hill where we shared Christy's and all of our other personal stories. We were armed with facts and statistics that were hard to argue with, but it was those stories that made the biggest most lasting impression. Some were sad, some were hopeful, some were painful to tell and hear -- all were honest and heart-felt. These stories -- your stories -- have an impact. Sharing them can make a difference in ways one could never even begin to imagine.


Thus far, we have succeeded in getting colorectal cancer added to the DOD's Cancer Research Program -- which is pretty dang awesome. We have also convinced many new Represenatatives to co-sponsor HR 1189. We are also working on getting support for a new bill: HR 1330 or The Colorectal Cancer and Screening Act, which would help close loopholes in insurance plans that prevent coverage of colonoscopies.





Will our efforts get the legislation we are pushing for to the House and Senate floors for a vote? I hope so. I do know, though, that we will not give up the fight. And we will do it with our heads held high, our hearts on our sleeves, and with our jazz hands making ripples of hope and change in the atmosphere.

~Mandy

Labels: , , ,

3 Comments:

  • At 10:33 AM, Anonymous Pam Seijo said…

    Great story, Mandy! I just put my jazz hands up in support of Christie and all of us colorectal cancer survivors.
    You are a great friend and keeping her work going. I know when we were in Washington for Call on Congress, we made her proud and her spirit was in me as I entered each office on Capitol Hill.
    So jazz hands to all!!!!!!

     
  • At 5:49 PM, Blogger ericafabulous said…

    What a beautiful posting, Mandy. You remind me of my friends who have been by my side since day one of my fight. I can only imagine how proud Christine is of you! You have made an impact on my life and all those affected by Colorectal Cancer. Good for you. You should be proud of what you've accomplished on Christine's behalf. :) PS- I am also a life long lover of jazz hands!

     
  • At 10:34 AM, Anonymous Marisa @ Getting Back To Basics said…

    Hi Mandy. I am so glad you are carrying on the fight for Christine.

    My mom died of colon cancer when she was 47 so it is never far from my mind. Last year I started what I hope to be yearly post...I call them "Bum Plugs" in an attempt to spread the word on the importance of early colon screening.I would love it if you could stop over for a visit at "Getting Back To Basics" and grab my "Live Your Life...Get Tested!" badge from my sidebar and add it to yours with a link to my post:

    BOTTOMS UP - A BELOW THE BELT COMMENTARY ON A SENSITIVE ISSUE

    My second "Bum Plug" will be posted on April 29th.

    Please help me spread awareness.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home