Colon Cancer Sucks Ass

Sunday, June 05, 2011

WWCD?

I have struggled this past year with posting on Christy's blog. On one hand I want to keep it "alive," but on the other hand I feel like my words don't quite live up to those of Christine. The following is a common conversation I've had with myself for a while now:

Mandy: Of course your words and thoughts don't live up to Christy's, Mandy! Nobody can replace the original person that you love and miss so much -- duh.

Me: But I do want to honor my best friend's memory.

Mandy: Well then write for cripes sake!

Me: But it's not my story to tell.

Mandy: Maybe not, but her story has definitiely become a big part of your story -- her friendship and loss have had a major impact on your life, after all.

Me: You have a point. My life is better for having known her...but reliving the loss is so hard.

Mandy: Maybe that is what is really keeping you from telling Christy's story -- grief?

Me: Probably. I still miss her every day. When something bad happens, I want to call her and tell her about it. When something good happens, I wish she were there to share it with me. Damn it! Why did she have to leave us?!

Mandy: It is not fair -- it never is.

Me: And Christy was so right: Cancer does suck ass!

Mandy: As I see it, you have two choices: 1)Continue sharing her story; or 2)Hold your memories inside, and keep them private and close to your heart. The second option may not help anyone else, but it may bring comfort to you.

Me: You make option 2 sound so selfish when you put it that way...

Mandy: Maybe because it kind of is, but nobody would blame you for grieving in your own way.

Me: I can't help but wonder what Christy would want me to do. Maybe I should make a bracelet with "WWCD?" inscribed on it -- ha!

Mandy: Now, we both know Christy would love that! :-)

Me: Look at that! We made me laugh!

Mandy: Laughter is always good. In fact, Christy always said it was the one single thing that made her feel "normal."

Me: Out of respect, I will leave the obvious response to that last comment alone ;-) Maybe I could tell some of her funnier stories? To make others laugh?

Mandy: You could give it a try -- never hurts to try. Although, it does hurt to laugh sometimes :-)

Me: You do realize that not only am I talking to myself, but I am also basically texting myself. Mortifying.

Mandy: Yes it is.

Me: Gee, thanks, Mandy.

Mandy: No problemo. That's what I'm here for, girlfriend! *SNAP*

Me: Christy? Is that you?....

1 Comments:

  • At 12:12 AM, Anonymous Nazia said…

    When your doctor first diagnoses you with colon cancer your initial reaction will be one of shock along with a multitude of other overwhelming emotions. Suddenly you will feel like everything is going to fall apart, and it may seem very difficult to keep a positive outlook on your now uncertain future. Everything from family to finances will have you questioning and worrying until you finally reach the point where you just can't take anymore. Colon cancer Treatment Thailand

     

Post a Comment

<< Home