Colon Cancer Sucks Ass

Tuesday, February 06, 2007

There's A Funny Story At The End

My bedroom window overlooks the pool and courtyard area of the building next door. About a third of my view is obstructed by a large tree. It is one of the trees that actually loses its leaves in the fall (not all do in Southern California). As I was sitting at my desk, contimplating what to write about, I noticed that this tree, which only a couple of weeks ago was bare, has bloomed with thousands of little white flowers. It's beautiful.

I started school today. I've actually dropped another class - chemistry, if you're wondering. I'm only enrolled in two courses/six credits, but the two remaining courses are going to be a considerable amount of work: macroeconomics and psychology. I'm looking forward to it though.

Yesterday, I spent the day learning about the Master's program I applied to and meeting one on one with faculty from that program. It was very informative and made me even more excited about the program. [NOTE: Despite my earlier posts to the contrary, I will not find out if I was accepted into the graduate school program until some time in March. I have at lease anther month to wait.]

Saturday, I am attending a one-day colon cancer conference sponsered by the Colon Cancer Alliance. It should be very interesting. If you live in the LA area, you can still go to their website and register.

I'm going to Seattle for my spring break, thanks to Kristen and Larry! I can't wait!!

Okay, I promised a funny story, so I supposed I should actually deliver one for anyone who read through the rest of this boring post. Hmmm...

Right before Christmas, I was visiting my friend Mandy. Her mom asked if we would come caroling at a local assisted-living facility with her church group. Mandy said that we would, but later informed me she would be "church singing." This is a term her father made up for mouthing the words to the songs, but not letting out any sound. Well, I sang because I love Christmas songs, but sure enough Mandy and her sister were both "church singing," but only until we got to our last song - Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer. Mandy chose to add a little extra something by singing (or more accurately shouting - in her own special key) the echoes and the little lines such as "like a light bulb," so the song went like this:

All the other carolers (ATOC): Rudolph the red-nosed reindeer
Mandy: Reindeer!
ATOC: Had a very shiny nose.
Mandy: Like a light bulb!
ATOC: And if you ever saw it,
Mandy: Saw it!
ATOC: You would even say it glows.
Mandy: Like a light bulb!
Etc...

So we finish singing and Mandy goes over to one of the residents to say good-bye. He told her that she had great enthusiasm for the last number. Great enthusiasm, hmmm. I told her that the other residents were probably thinking, "oh, it's nice that someone takes her on a outing."

Well, it's a funny story to me. I didn't promise David Sedaris.

1 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home