Colon Cancer Sucks Ass

Monday, November 28, 2005

Everything Is Rent

When I’m really looking forward to something… a movie, for example… I think I lower my expectations to prevent disappointment. I’m willing to overlook a lot of flaws because I’m so excited to experience the final product. Due to my own stubbornness, I will enthusiastically embrace a mediocre movie solely because I want to like it.

Last night I saw the movie Rent. Being a huge fan of the musical, I have seen it three times. I have the cast recording memorized from beginning to end. For years I have anticipated the big screen version with a great deal of trepidation. How could they translate the story from stage to film? I walked out of the theater feeling ill. It was one of the worst screen adaptations of a musical that I have ever seen – even worse than A Chorus Line which was completely appalling. I don’t blame the actors. They were all too old to be reprising their roles, but I think they did the best they could under the completely misguided direction of Chris Columbus. It was just awkward.

Despite my disapproval for the movie, it did rekindle the love I have for the musical. It has been a long time since I listened to the songs. Many of them have a much stronger meaning to me because of my current situation. I was moved to tears several times by the power of the lyrics. The original cast recording is definitely going back into my regular CD rotation.

1 Comments:

  • At 10:18 AM, Anonymous Mandy N. said…

    "Seasons of Love" became your ringtone...The lyrics still resonnate with me, too:

    "...In truths that she learned
    Or in times that he cried
    In bridges he burned
    Or the way that she died

    It's time now to sing out
    Tho' the story never ends
    Let's celebrate
    Remember a year in the life of friends..."

    Miss you.

    ~Mandy

     

Post a Comment

<< Home